Saturday, November 10, 2012

Final Reflection on ES2007S

Towards the last few lessons and after the final oral presentation, I've noticed a few differences in myself. Most evident was that I had more confidence while doing a presentation and also speaking up in class. Before taking up the class, I felt that I was more of an introvert and would be more comfortable keeping to myself. The main draw of this class I felt that it was very accepting of all our different ideas and by speaking up and sharing our ideas with the class, we get to learn more from each other's points of view on different topics.

As I've said in the previous post, I felt that there was a huge improvement from my first oral presentation during the Mock Peer Teaching and the most recent presentation on my group's proposal. The reason for this was really the helpful feedback given by the class and Dr Radhika. I really paid attention to their constructive feedback and worked on improving from there.

Besides the feedback, I found the instructional videos on delivering presentations particularly helpful and humourous as well. It left us with simple tips to improve our presentations such as "Preparation is Everything" and "POP". The other videos that were shown, such as the one by John Cleese about being assertive also made the class more lively.

Working with my classmates on the Peer Teaching and Proposal was an invaluable experience as this was the first time I've done a group project and presentation since JC, which was 2 years ago. I enjoyed learning from the strengths and insights of my group members and bouncing off ideas of each other while we worked on the tasks given to us.

Overall, I found that I had a wonderful time throughout this module and culture of the class, which was very open and vocal made me enjoy ES2007S even more. This module was a breath of fresh air compared to the heavy Engineering modules that I'm currently taking, and I did look forward to each and every class. After this semester, I will integrate the presentation skills as well as the analytical skills that I've gathered from the class into the future subjects or projects that I will be undertaking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Irfan! The presentations that we've been giving in class have definitely helped us in being more confident. Considering that this is your first year in NUS, I'm actually quite impressed with how you can present already. It's a good thing that you've taken this module at the start of your journey with NUS, as it can really set you off on the right foot.

    And yes I agree that this class in rather accepting of ideas as long as they make sense. I've realised however, that having an idea alone is sometimes not enough. One thing that I've learnt in this class is that we've to be able to put across that idea in a clear and concise way to the people around us. This is perhaps where knowing the 7Cs of effective communication could help us. Sorting out our ideas in our mind before we speak up would help as well.

    Anyway, I've really enjoyed working with you for the peer teaching at the beginning of the semester. I wish you all the best for this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irfan,
    I completely agree with you that those videos had a great impact on all of us.It taught us how to present a good proposal in humorous manner and I believe that this was a motivation for most of us.

    I wish you all the best for the rest of your university life!

    ReplyDelete