Thursday, November 1, 2012

Evaluating Intercultural Behaviour

In Junior College, I had a friend who was very religious. He was a practicing Muslim who was very pious and staunch. From the way he behaved and how he treated others, he was following the teachings of Islam down to the latter. This includes praying openly in public areas, wearing the traditional baju kurung or "jubah" anywhere he goes and keeping his facial hair. To others, his dress sense, demeanour and mannerisms might seem weird or out of place. However, I feel it is his prerogative to choose such a noble path. I only had one disagreement with him, about keeping his beard long while serving National Service.

In Islam, it is encouraged to grow a beard. However it is not compulsory. My friend was adamant about keeping his beard even in the Army. He attempted to obtain a letter from the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) that would allow him to keep the beard in the Armed Forces. Much like how the Sikh's are allowed to keep their hair long and wear turbans even during their National Service.

When I heard about his request to MUIS, I felt that it was a little unreasonable and it is rather impossible for one to be allowed to that while in NS. Don't get me wrong, I find that practicing one's religion is something wonderful and it gives one purpose and a positive outlook and encouragement in life. However, as I've mentioned earlier, in a place like Singapore, some compromises have to be made. If the it isn't a compulsory rule in Islam, my friend did not have to be too extreme and go to such lengths to practice his religion. 

In a secular society such as Singapore, however, I believe that there are some compromises that one has to make. For example, there is no open practice of religion in government schools and offices. If one wants to practice one's religion, he has to do it at his own discretion. More so in National Service, where soldiers have to sport short and neat hair and be clean shaven at all times. I feel that his devotion was out of place and he should learn to compromise with such rules. Honestly, I believe that there should always be a balance in everything one does. It should also be done in moderation and not be taken to extremes.

2 comments:

  1. Very mature expression of views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irfan, do you pray and do you keep a beard yourself? I'm curious to know in what capacity you have determined keeping a beard is not compulsory. Have you read the QurĂ¡n and Hadiths?

    ReplyDelete